Skip to main content

International Velvet - Catatonia

 


I'm still struggling with how this project will run and what format to work in - perhaps I should have thought about that first. But time and tide wait for no man so on we go (apologies for the variations in structure - hopefully it will settle down after a while)

First on the list is Catatonia's International Velvet from 1998. Being first on the list it stays where it is on the shelf - for now. Nothing before and dozens of CD's ahead.

By 1998 we had passed through the worst of Brit Pop and although the Spice Girls were still big (they had the Christmas number one that year with 'Goodbye') the light was fading.

It's not my intention to give a history of the artists in this blog - that's what Wikipedia is for, so you can click on this link. With that said, on to the album.

"Mulder and Scully"

Of course I was a fan of the X-Files in the 90's, it was go to TV for me. And a song about Mulder & Scully had to be listened and the opening riff is one that those who are fans of Catatonia will be able to 'name that song in one'

Favourite Line:

And as for some happy ending,

I'd rather stay single and thin.

"Game On"

A chilled  acoustic vibe to accompany the poetic lyrics of the second track. Reminiscent of some of Saint Etienne's work. It's a waking up, new day kind of track with an underlying sadness linked to mistakes made in the past. It's Sunday morning in your twenties (if you were around in the 90's).

"I Am the Mob"

Do you put horses heads in people's beds? Do you sir, do you? Ooh! Ooh! Suits you Sir, suits you! A nice little angry song for those angry days.

"Road Rage"

Make no mistake about it there is no way that I am the only lad who didn't get a little aroused by the way Cerys sings Rrroad Rrrage. And I'm sure back then it was all over the front page - or maybe just page 3.

Favourite Line:

If all yo've got to do today is find piece of mind,

Come round.

You can have a piece of mine.

Sexy and threatening at the same time! Νice!

"Johnny Come Lately"

And now for something more mellow

"Goldfish and Paracetamol"

Looking through the track listings and trying to play the songs in my head nothing comes to mind. Ha ha - the line only comes up once in the second verse - you weren't paying attention were you? This feels like the end of the night before "Game On". Like slow dancing with a bottle of Tequila and a Cohiba. 

"International Velvet"

Sung in Welsh - here is the translation...

Awaken sleepy Wales, land of song

Deep is the weakness, small is the flame

Cruel is the harvest, but fair is the tune

With the song of the lonely swan in my heart

Every day when I wake up I thank the Lord I'm Welsh

A feast of mead invigourated a shy Welshwoman

I discovered the true paradise of Rhyl

Every day when I wake up I thank the lord I'm Welsh

Awaken sleepy Wales, land of song

Deep is the weakness, small is the flame

It sounds better in Welsh!

"Why I Can't Stand One Night Stands"

I was never a fan of one night stands myself and the lyrics in this cover why. 

The rest of the tracks...

  • Part of the Furniture
  • Don't Need the Sunshine
  • Strange Glue
  • My Selfish Gene

What no further comment on the rest of the tracks? Well it has taken me over a week to get this far and I've listened to the album multiple times trying to see what emotions each track tries to invoke in me. Is it hard - not when I'm listening to them. Is a track-by-track analysis of each of my CD's where I want to go with this? I don't think so.

While some albums will have specific tracks I may wanted talk about, I think the idea is forming in my head that this should be more an biographical account of the music and what it meant to me at the time and how I feel about it now. Otherwise I'll never get through all the music - and there are some CD's lurking there in the dim recesses of my cupboard I have never listened to. Anyway, back to the album...

In summary, despite some of the banging tunes that were released as singles a lot of this album is very chilled out with tracks worthy of a chill mix.

Up Next...

Daniel Powter - Daniel Powter

In the Post...

Late Developers - Belle and Sebastian (January 2023 CD)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daniel Powter - Daniel Powter

  Have you had a bad day? Well punk, have ya? It’s time for the second in my lineup of CD’s. Following a rather miserable attempt at going through Catatonia’s International Velvet Album, I’m trying a slightly different approach. So brief intro (with Wikipedia link) track list and then general thoughts and biographical bollocks. I had no idea that Daniel Powter was Canadian. I honestly thought he was another British act in the mould of James Blunt or the more current Ed Sheeran - which maybe goes some way to explaining why I’m not a DJ. Music for me is like wine. I know what I like but I would struggle to describe it to you. Anyway, back to Mr Powter... Of course I bought the album for “Bad Day” (the only track from the album to get a star) but there are some other great tracks on this album. The overall album has the feeling of a sunny Spring or Autumn Sunday morning. Mostly chilled out music with a few more uptempo tracks like “ Jimmy Gets High ” and “ Hollywood ” However, overa...

Introduction

I had completely forgotten about blogger as a platform. Bad Craig. Anyway, A couple of weeks ago I decided to sort out my CD collection and make sure that they were all ripped to a reasonably high quality FLAC and that the CD's were in some sort of order (I went with alphabetical although autobiographical also crossed my mind). Then I decided that I would listen to every album. While some have become all time favourites (I'll flag these when I come to them), many I had only bought for a couple of singles - and more often than not ended up liking some other track on the album more. Then of course there are some which I haven't listened to (at least not in their entirety) and have been sitting for years gathering dust. While we have a cheap Sony mini hi-fI in the kitchen which can play CD's most of my music listening is done either on my iPhone or through one of the Amazon Echos. But for this project I felt something a bit more special was required. So, I dug out my old F...